Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds ?

I have been on lots of antidepressants (SSRI's)over the last 15 years for anxiety. I don't have panic attacks--I have been a SERIOUS nail-biter my whole life. Most of them help some, not as much as I'd hoped and I hate the side effects. No doctor has never recommended an anti-anxiety med like diazepam or alprazolam --I'm assuming because of the dependence/addiction issue?--but I'm thinking of asking for one. What is more commonly prescribed of these two classes and have you found one to work much better than the other?

I tried Buspar too and got up to 60 mg per day, but it didn't help much--just made my fingers start to tingle.

Thanks.

Susan
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
They are both for different symptoms and disorders. Totally different componients in either. One is for depression and the other for anxiety. I am on both. Alaprazolam is for anxiety and Buspar is for depression.
|

replied April 1st, 2008
I thought buspar was for anxiety. And I am on antidepressants for anxiety--not depression.

Sue
|

replied April 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
sjde wrote:
I thought buspar was for anxiety. And I am on antidepressants for anxiety--not depression.

Sue

You are right sue. Blame it on my Bipolar and having to get off my Limectal and going through a major crash right now! Not flipping taking anything yet.
But they still manage two different disorders. I also suffer from both for years and years.
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
My doc prescribed buspar for my anxiety and I HATED it....now I take Xanax and it works very well for me...buspar made me feel weird and anxious...it had the opposite affect that it should have...???
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
I am 20 years old. I use lexapro for two monts i must say great anxiety and depression are gone. I found Lexapro online on google i must say great medicine also for young people.

|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...