Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Another reason abortion cannot be made illegal

User Profile
I am sure it has been said somewhere before, but here goes again.
First off, how does LEGAL abortion affect pro-lifers? In truth, it does NOT. You can still CHOOSE to NOT abort.

But if we were to make abortion illegal, then the right to choose goes down the drain for countless women who want that option available. Therefore, pro-life loses NOTHING, but those who are pro-choice or just want the option available *if the situation ever arises* lose tremendously.

So if legal abortion = pro-life losing nothing (they can still chose to not abort)and making abortion illegal = pro-life losing nothing (they chose to not utilize abortion anyway), then why all the arguing, why all the demands for making abortion illegal?

As a pro-choicer, I am not taking away ANY pro-lifer's rights or choices, they can still chose to carry to term, remain pregnant, adopt out, whatever. But if abortion were made illegal, the pro-lifers would be taking away my right to make a certain choice, if I deemed it necessary.

Abortion may not be a right, option, choice, whatever, you agree with. I don't agree with it either (sometimes). But it is a choice you DON'T have to PERSONALLY make, if you do not wish to. So why try to take away the option for others, in particular, people you may not know, people you probably never met and never will meet? How does MY decision to abort (theoretically speaking...err, typing, here)affect YOU on a PERSONAL level? If my choice has NO BEARING on your PERSONAL life, your family, morals and beliefs not withstanding, then why take away my right to a very PERSONAL and PRIVATE choice? I am not telling you that you have to abort, I am not saying that your choice to parent every offspring you conceive (be it one or fifteen)is wrong, so who are you to tell me that my choice to abort, for whatever reason, is wrong? Who are you to tell me that my choice should be taken away just because you disagree with it.

I disagree with women popping out babies left and right just to get that welfare check or just because their religion tells them to do so, but I don't want or desire to take away their right to do so. Their choice does not affect me on a personal level.

For both sides of the argument, abortion will always be necessary. I am sorry to say that. No birth control is fail-proof, even vasectomies and tubal ligations. And even if there were a fail-proof birth control formulated, there will always be that rare case where the fetus is severely deformed, deeming life incompatible for it, there will always be the rare instance where maternal life is at risk, there will always be rape (and plan B is not always effective, nor is it always used properly), and abortion should always remain an option for such situations.

Hopefully someday, we will see all "social" abortions disappear with better birth control and sexual education. However, until both sides of the debate actually start putting more effort into seeing this happen instead of wasting efforts bombing and picketing abortion clinics, name-calling, stereotyping, etc, there will always be the need.

I propose that abortion be legal, as it keeps the choice available to those who wish to utilize it, and since it has no bearing on those who choose to not utilize it, well you get my point. I propose that both sides stop the petty bickering and start working TOGETHER to formulate newer and safer/more effective (FREE) methods of birth control and better sexual education (FREE). Then the need for abortion will drastically decrease. It will not disappear entirely, and that is is what it is.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Double or nothing someone responds with an argument about how it doesn't affect them if their neighbor is beating his wife either, or some equally non-related issue. Most prolife arguments seem to draw comparisons between abortion and abuse or homicide. The kicker of it is, abortion isn't about killing anybody, it's about women deciding who gets to use their bodies and when.

I don't understand why it's so hard for them to grasp the principle that the unborn have no more right to live inside someone else than born people do.
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Darkmoon wrote:
Double or nothing someone responds with an argument about how it doesn't affect them if their neighbor is beating his wife either
In truth, it DOESN'T affect them (at least on a personal or familial level), nor are they REQUIRED by law to report it. You aren't even required by law to report child abuse unless said child is living with you or you work in community service, such as a doctor or police officer. If it bugs them so much, they CAN report it. However, reporting a legally obtained abortion to your local law enforcement will probably do little but draw laughs and snickers out of the cops. The only thing you are required by law to report is a homicide or any damage or theft to your person. This includes your store being burgularized, your daughter being raped, your son committing homicide, etc. Even then, you can choose not to press charges. However, the state can press charges if they choose to do so. You may be called upon as a witness if your neighbor presses charges on her husband for beating her, and sure, your reputation may be smeared because you did not intervene, but that is your choice to do so.
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2009
Experienced User
The pro-lifers who want abortion banned will probably say that their crusade is not about how abortion affects THEM. (They're not that selfish, see?) It's about saving the lives of those who have no choice. It's a very noble concept, but only in theory. The ones who want abortion done away with always think they have the solution as to what society is supposed to do with all these extra babies. Maybe we'll just hold a giveaway for all those childless couples...
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
DamianaRaven wrote:
The pro-lifers who want abortion banned will probably say that their crusade is not about how abortion affects THEM. (They're not that selfish, see?) It's about saving the lives of those who have no choice. It's a very noble concept, but only in theory. The ones who want abortion done away with always think they have the solution as to what society is supposed to do with all these extra babies. Maybe we'll just hold a giveaway for all those childless couples...
The problem with that thinking is that a fetus or embryo cannot CHOOSE anything. A fetus or embryo lives because its INSTINCT tells it to live, not because it CHOOSES to live. Fetuses begin to show a preference, or "choice" for certain things at around 18-24 weeks gestation, as cited/thought/researched by many medical researchers and professionals. Some research shows that the ability to choose occurs shortly after birth, during the bonding phase, where a newborn may exhibit a preference for the mother or father, thus, in essence, choosing one over the other. So, the rights of the unborn to choose whether or not they want to be aborted, at least before the 18th week, would be quite a moot point. But then again, the arguments will never cease, will they? Ah well. All I can say is what I have already said.
|