Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Anorexia Recovery (Water Weight)

Hello there! I was really anorexic for two years, and started my recovery around this time last year. I did not start to gain weight until mid March, and by May/June I had really bad water weight. Although my water weight has gone down a lot in my legs, my arms and stomach are still extremely bloated. Some days worse than others. I am currently avoiding any dairy and meat, but will still eat seafood. I am moderately active, I tend to run about 12-15 miles total a week. I am also still having trouble controlling my cravings for sweets. Anyways, I guess my main question is, how long does it normally take to be fully weight restored, and secondly does anyone have any tips on how to speed the process or make it easier? Also, did the water weight get a lot worse before it got better (the storm before the calm). I have noticed my arms and chest area got significantly worse this month. Anyways, sorry if this is very unorganized, and I appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2017
Psychotherapy is the most common treatment for anorexia and has the greatest research support. Psychotherapy can involve a significant time and financial commitment, particularly if you are struggling with other issues (sexual abuse, depression, substance use, relationship problems). Psychotherapy can be very helpful in addressing not only your disordered eating, but also your overall emotional health and happiness. Indeed, the focus of psychotherapy treatment will be to address the underlying emotional and cognitive issues that result in the disordered eating.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....