Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Anorexia but won't admit it

You see, one of our friends in our friendship group has aneroxia, and at lunch shes always talking about calories and how fat she is when she is so skinny! shes always complaining and moaning and writing depressing stuff all over her arms and hands. It first started last year and in september 2009, i finally broke down and told a teacher what was happening, and that teacher really really helped me, and tried her absoutle best to sort it out, but my friend denied it all and so then the teacher was gonna ring and tell her parents but my friend got their first and now, a couple months later its happening again and i dont know what to do? i dont know whether to tell the teacher that i told in the first place? im so confused and im fed up of it whirling round my head, its not as easy as that though, because i lost my friends when i told the teacher and really dont want that to happen again, but im scared if i keep it inside to long ill just break down again, ive got other stuff going on too and its really bringing me down! Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
is she a diagnosed anorexic,i am not saying she isnt an anorexic but just because someone is skinny and talks about calories doesnt make them anorexic.u actually need to be underweight to be diagnosed as anorexic.if she is anorexic though for definate .all you can really do is be there for her when she needs you,do not what so ever try and get her to eat by saying eat this because she will feel you are trying to take over.
hope this helps
|
Users who thank kazza27 for this post: CluelessBee 

replied February 2nd, 2010
nope she isnt diagnosed, she just wont stop denying it to the people that are trying to help but she HAS admitted it to me, my word against hers what can i do? ive tried talking to her but she just brushes it away and tells me to stop being silly :/ but thank you for the links. my real problem is whether i tell the teacher again?! confused!!
|

replied February 7th, 2010
you don't have to be underweight to be diagnosed as an anorexic....eventually it can lead to being underweight but its not a requirement for a positive diagnosis of anorexia nervosa
|

replied February 7th, 2010
well i was always told to get a diagnosis of anorexia you need to be underweight otherwise you will get a diagnosis of EDNOS
|

replied February 8th, 2010
well you can be a diagnosed anorexic without being underweight....there are certain requirements according to the DSM-IV that diagnose an eating disorder...i'm currently in going to a counselor for an eating disorder (not by choice) and she and i were talking about it friday and there are many things that qualify a person to be an anorexic....in reality, a person could be of average weight or possibly overweight and still be anorexic
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....