Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

ankle pain - If I rest it the pain is unbearable

I'm in so much pain in my foot, under were the ankle bone is. It hurts the worst when I rest it. Hurts some when I'm swalking around. No swelling, and if I press on it it does not hurt. If I rest it the pain is unbearable. Should I go to the er, I don't want to waste anyones time or money
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
ariddle,

You may be having a type of ischemia or claudication. Rest pain can be a sign of this.

Rest pain is described a continuous pain due to ischemia of the lower leg. It begins, or is aggravated, after reclining and resting, and is relieved by sitting, standing, or walking.

Pain from other sources (trauma, arthritis) gets worse with activity and better with rest.

So, you may have some type of problem with the arteries in you lower extremities. The ER will not be able to do much for you, except give you pain pills, to mask the problem for a short period of time. They may refer you to a vascular surgeon.

You may need some special tests, such as a doppler flow exam, to look at how the arteries in your legs are doing.

Good luck. Hope you find the cause of your problem.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....