User Profile
Hi, 2 years have passed when logging with hubby a tree was felled onto my ankle I have experienced pain and bruising ever since now the bruising is getting worse now with very painful dry scabbing appearing under my ankle what do you think is happening?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2018
Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Answer A62921
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Since two years have passed and there is a painful scabbing area on your ankle, you probably have a non-healing ulcer. This can be non healing due to underlying infection, low supply of oxygen to the wound that is reducing the healing process, underlying diabetes, or due to underlying dermatitis. Wounds heal slower in smokers or alcoholics who have been drinking for a long time. So these have to be ruled out.

This can be also be a venous ulcer on a varicose vein or any other ulcer that does not heal well due to either poor blood supply or underlying diabetes. Hence the origin of the ulcer has to be determined. Duplex ultrasound of the calf done to rule out varicose veins and atherosclerosis and blood sugar tested.

Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.