I have a displaced fracture of the medial malleolus and a minimally displaced obliquely oriented intra-articular fracture of the posterior tibia. At first look on x-ray Dr. said I could probably just let it heal on it's own because the displacement was within a range of tolerance. But after MRI, he told me that he recommends Open reduction internal fixation of bimalleolar fracture. I am concerned because I know that they do a lot of these surgeries and a lot of the people that I know that have had them tell me they would not have done the surgery now. If I do not have the surgery what actually will happen?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2018
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

If there is sufficient angulation and your orthopedic surgeon has advised against watchful waiting then there is bound to be a reason. Instead of patient experiences, i would suggest getting a second opinion from a consultant orthopedic surgeon, instead. If he concurs then it would be better to go for it.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.