Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Animal Bite. dog has not been vaccinated for antirabies

Good day! Please help me, i'm kinda worried right now. 2 days ago, I was bitten by a dog owned by a friend and i'm worried if I might be infected with rabies because according to him the dog has not been vaccinated with antirabies shots. I'm worried because we are working on this island right now and our transportation is by boat and it is only available every weekends which means I can't go see and consult a doctor. The dog seems to be normal, no change in behavior whatsoever and I'm fine as well aside from little pain around the bite area. From what I can see, the dog is not mad or in any way showing signs that it is infected with rabies, my biggest concerned is that according to my friend the dog has not been vaccinated for antirabies, ever since. Should I be worried? Please help me!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 18th, 2014
My family went through this same issue (my mom had gotten bitten from one of our dogs when they were fighting and she was late on her rabies shot) We knew our dogs didn't have rabies because the only time they went outside was to do their business so there isn't anyway they could get infected with anything. Anyway, (and I don't mean to frighten you) but rabies takes time to show (i think a couple weeks to a month) You have two options: You can go into quarantine and see if either you or the dog show signs or (and I really hope you go with the first option because this one is the worst) If you are honestly desperate to see if the dog has rabies, you can have the dog tested..and believe me from my experience with this you'll probably want to do quarantine more then the testing.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....