Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

angular cheilitis(though I've never grown cracks or sores.

User Profile
I've had these dark spots on the corners of my mouth for the past couple of years: http://[image removed]*/view.php?pic=9zyhk4&s=9. They started out pretty small but have steadily gotten larger over the years, and they don't hurt or itch but feel dry and uncomfortable sometimes. I used to lip my licks a lot, which was probably a factor, but I've stopped doing that for a long time. I saw my doctor a couple weeks and she said it was angular cheilitis(though I've never grown cracks or sores, just those dark spots), and prescribed me muriprocin to treat the supposed infection. That didn't work, and I'm getting really desperate because it’s becoming really noticeable. I applied vaseline for about a year, which didn't work, and neither did hydrocortisone cream or ointment. Now, I'm taking vitamin B2 supplements and using vitamin E cream, which don't seem to be working either. What do you think, is this angular cheilitis or something else? Any ideas or solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2015
General Q and A Answer A55342
Welcome to e health forum.

Since your doctors have examined you and all forms of treatment has not helped in improvement, the skin spots you have observed are probably a overgrowth of sebaceous skin glands and not anything else that you need to seriously worry about.

If they are not causing any issue, you may just leave them alone. With age, they may subside on their own.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Acne, Skin Health
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.