Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

angular cheilitis symptoms ?

Not sure if this is a skin problem, but i didn't see a separate place for mouth/lip problems.

My lips are starting to get cracked at the corners.It hurts when I smile or when I open my mouth wide to eat something. It looks like small paper cuts. I've been doing a lot of research on this, because it's pretty irritating.

I found out it is called Angular Cheilitis. I've seen the most common treatments for this include: B-Complex vitamins, a 1% hydro cortisone cream, Vitamin-E oil and Tea Tree oil, lanoline creams, a Z-Pac anti biotic, drinking more water, switching toothpastes, an anti-fungal cream, and not licking your lips.

Which of these works best? Which methods don't work? Are there any other ways to treat the cracks at the corner of your mouth? I'm going to make a run to the store in the morning and want to know what to try.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 6th, 2008
?
any suggestions?
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Hey Jordy,

I've experienced this in the past, and it's usually come as an added bonus to other conditions like being constantly fatigued, having a flu, not getting enough sleep, and not eating a balanced diet.

I've noticed that this happens more often in dry climates, and in the winter.

Eating regularly, staying hydrated, stress free, and using regular non-medicated chapstick seems to help me. Putting butter or olive oil on lips feels very good too.

Is this something that you have constantly or does it come and go?

hope that helps! (:
-daniel
|

replied February 21st, 2012
I had constantly dry, sore & flaking lips for about 9 months until I tried 100% shea butter. This solved the problem within a day - I was so happy. My doctor had suggested Vaseline, but this did nothing at all. You can get pure shea butter from outlets like L'Occitane and health food shops.
|

sometimes
i've gotten this maybe once a year, but this time it's a lot worse.
my diet is relatively health, i exercise often, my life is rather stress free. I changed my toothpaste and toothbrush (in case one of those was the factor, as i had read on other forums)

i made a concoction of vitamin e oil and tea tree oil that i'm going to try. not sure if i just put it on the cracked parts of my mouth, or the entirety of my lips...?

all i know is this hurts and it's really noticeable... not cool.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
word. thats good if you're lifestyle is healthy and stress free.
you're better off than 99% of the population ...

well put it on the cracks, but if the rest of your lips are dry get em too.

good luck
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....