User Profile
Hi, my name is Amy Smith and I am a second year medical student. I am writing an essay on the impact that angina has on a patient's quality of life. I was just wondering what kind of effects angina has had on the quality of life of patients that you have treated?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A12055
Hi Amy, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Quality of life is determined by personal perceptions of symptoms and physical and mental functional abilities. The good QOL means the ability of a person to function in a normal way and to be satisfied with participation in daily activities. The ability to perform daily activities includes preserved physical mobility, independence, amount of energy sufficient for daily activities, self-care, social contacts, emotional stability and absence of pain, relief of other difficulties, adequate sleeping, and rest.
Pain and fear of new attacks significantly limit daily activities in angina patients. Before CABG, patients with higher CCS angina class have worse QOL .The bad quality of life is associated with the presence of serious chest pain . Patients with angina show a lack of energy, sleeping problems, and reduced physical mobility compared with the normal population. In one study, patients with higher severity of angina show worse results in physical mobility, higher degrees of social isolation and emotional unstableness, a lack of energy necessary for daily activities, and worse sleeping compared with patients with no angina and those with lower degrees of angina. In coronary patients with chest pain there is an occurrence of anxiousness and depression that substantially disorders QOL . I have seen significant improvement of QOL with the help of CABG. A year after CABG, the QOL of patients was significantly better than before the operation and those changes were directly connected with the reduction of angina.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.