Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

And now, I'm sad nearly all the time...

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
My name is Ellie, I'm 17, and I think I might be bipolar. For the first few months of this year, I was very happy, everything seemed to be going my way. And now, I'm sad nearly all the time, or angry. When I'm sad, I cannot concentrate, I have a hard time becoming motivated, and I put myself down. I would never, ever kill myself, but I have had times when I thought what it would be like to do so, or to simply just stop existing. But when I have good times, I'm always cheery, skipping, smiling, etc. It seems to fluctuate from happy to depressed anywhere from a week or two of each, to even, as I said before, whole months where I feel like I'm on top of the world to months where I feel down in the dumps. I have never been tested for bipolar disorder, but all (or nearly all) the symptoms seem to fit. Should I talk to my doctor about finding out for sure?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2011
Bipolar Disorder Answer A22253


There seems to be no reason why you should not get your symptoms evaluated by a mental health professional. Whether Bipolar Disorder is diagnosed or not, a consultation will always be beneficial for you in the long term.

Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.