Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

48, and I have had heavy bleeding and large clots...

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am 48 and I have had heavy bleeding and large clots along with labor pain cramps since last year during my periods. I had a NovaSure ablation, D&C, hysteroscopy, and endometrial polyp removed in March of this year. The procedure though looked like a good burn apparently failed as I am right back to where I was with heavy bleeding with clots. As of this cycle, I was put on Provera 10 mg once a day for 10 days. I started 6 days after the last pill and I'm right back where I have been. How long will it take to notice a difference with the Provera so I will know whether that has failed as well. Next step is hysterectomy and I don't want to do that if possible.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A36923
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Heavy bleeding or prolonged bleeding after ablation procedure is not normal and should not be ignored. Causes like underlying hormonal derangements, endometrial hyperplasia, uterine fibroids, DUB, endometriosis, endometrial cancerous changes, etc cannot be ruled out. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the abnormal vaginal bleeding that you describe. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the bleeding and your symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.