Medical Questions > Parenting > Teens Forum

14 and depressed.

Hi I'm Paige,

This is going to be one of those incredibly depressing stores, just so you know....

I live a gypsy lifestyle. I lived in Michigan, moved to Texas, moved back to Michigan, moved to Illinois, moved back to Michigan, and will be in a new state by the end of the year. I seriously live a gypsy lifestyle. I'm a teenager so it's hard to go into a new high school constantly and make friends because everyone has known each other for a long time. Plus, I don't make friends easily at all. I don't have very many.

My dad needs to move around a lot to keep his job, and a lot of the time, he'll be working in another state, and won't be home during the week, so he comes home on the weekends. I only get to see him for a day and a half, even though my parents are not divorced. It is so difficult to call my dad because every time I do, I cry. He'll ask me how school is going, and I have to lie and say that it is going good so he doesn't feel like he can't do anything. I hate every waking moment of school because I'm not treated nicely at all.

My school is known on a national level for being incredibly homophobic and racist. It is filled with nothing but kids who have no respect and treat other people like crap. It is filled with nothing but hate.

I have two older, gorgeous sisters who are both going to college and my little sister has been in a movie. I have not in my years of life ever done anything that was recognized by the media or anything like that. I'm an 'A' student, if that counts.

I have a tendency to keep my feelings to myself, even though I tell everything to my mom. My mom has always been a happy person and she has 3 other socially healthy and happy daughters. She does not know how to care for a depressed child so I feel like she doesn't take me seriously.

No one knows how much I am hurting. I cry and cry when I get home from school and I have to be quiet about it so no one can hear me. No one understands how it feels to move from place to place and have a smile on my face the whole time. I go on long, long walks everyday to escape the life I'm living, even if it's raining or snowing. All the time, I just wonder how I can't deal with anything of this pain, and my sisters can. Why is it me hurting? I just want to know what it's like to be completely happy and for a long period of time because I honestly can't remember the last time that I was.

Any suggestions on how to cope?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2011
I don't mean to seem like I'm trying to just understand what you're going through, like someone who just nods their head and acts like they know it all, if you know what I mean, but I honestly DO know what you are going through. My parents are separated, and because of health problems I'm always switching schools and moving places, so I know how stressful it can be to have constant change. My mom also thinks I'm a hypochondriac and doesn't take me seriously for that reason. I know what you're going through. I wouldn't be suprised at all if you have depression, because it can be caused by environmental factors like stress and sadness. I think you need to find a pen pal, or an email buddy who you can always tell your problems too. Also, another good way to manage this would be finding something that is comforting to you, like reading a book, or taking a hot shower, and just do it when you're feeling down. If this doesn't help, and your parents don't want to take you to the doctor/take you seriously, then show some assertiveness. Don't be disrespectfull, but tell them that you honestly think it would be good for you. If that doesn't work, you could always call someone who could get you help. If your parents dont take you seriously when you need help, then they need to go through a class on parenting. And they need to know it too! If you ever need help, just tell me, and I'll give you my email. Just remember, you're not alone in the world. There is always someone out there who is going through what you're going through!

Hope this helps!
|