Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

anaphylatic reaction to a food I ate

User Profile
I had my first anaphylatic reaction to a food I ate by accident, but I managed to get to my epi-pen, even though my first symptoms were to have heavy confusion and very slow ability to think, or figure out something was wrong. (I have an allergist, hence the epi-pen but he is not one anyone would be comfortable asking questions of.)

I was very close to passing out, when I finally got to both my benadryl and my epi-pen. My question is: When you are having an anaphylatic reaction and you feel like if you pass out you will die, but you are completely calm and okay with that. Is that a normal feeling? And if you feel like that, how close was it?

I live alone, I had no one to help if something happened, and I couldn't get anyone's help. (I'm trying to figure out better ways of dealing if this ever happens again.)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2014
Allergies Answer A49615
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern.

Its good that you survives the reaction. please consult a psychiatrist with respect to the thoughts you had during that experience. there could be associated depression which can be treated to enable you to respond properly in such situations.

Let me know if you have any query

wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.