Hello

My name is jack, i am 16 years old and i have been suffering from IBS/Anal leakage for about 4 years now. I believe i have IBS because my stomach is very sensitive to greasy, fried, spicy, and just unhealthy foods in general. I have really bad bowel movements after eating things like that. I also tend to stay away from dairy since i am lactose intolerant. My symptoms of anal leakage started 4 years ago after a christmas vacation in Florida, which i got sick and had to take anti-biotics. I first noticed the anal leakage in school. During classes i would constantly go to the bathroom because i would have a wet anus, and whenever i wiped there was a yellowish color left on the toilet paper. In addition to the anal leakage there is also a fecal smell. Everyday of my life i am scared to go to school or to go to the mall because i know i will leak and smell like poop. I have been to many doctors, including a colorectal doctor. During my visit with this doctor he took a look in my anus and noticed that my hemorrhoids were irritated he also told me that what i was leaking was mucus. He also told me that i produced a lot of mucus. When i tried explaining to him about the smell he denied it and told me that the mucus has no smell and that it was simply in my mind. He went on to diagnose the problem has puritas ani, which i dont believe i have because i dont feel itchy in my anus area. He reccomended that i put a piece of cotton on the outside of my anus so i dont have the sensation of leakage. I have no clue what this problem could be. I am very sadden knowing that my school prom will come up and i wont have this resolved. Please give me any suggestions or questions that i could answer to give you a better understanding of my problem. *PS* I did get a colonoscopy done and they did not find anything. *ps* ps* my leakage gets worse when i eat dairy products or when i am simply in public scared and my anxiety gets really bad.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2014
Thank you for asking

IBS at young age has many suspicions, Lactose intolerance has a key role amongst them. Anal incontinence needs evaluation like anal manometry, stool testing, defecography, nerve testing and MRIs and neuro hormonal evaluation to sort out the exact etiology.

Amongst many causes IBS is the main culprit of fecal incontinence and causes it quite often. Pruritis ani may be associated too but main issue is anal incontinence.

eat healthy fibrous diet, drink plenty of fluids. use medicines like imodium, lomotil or hyoscine for the relief. use bowel habits and train them, use kegel exercises for strengthening your anal muscles.

biofeedback, sphincter surgeries, colostomies, sphincter cuff devices, injectable biomaterials and radiofrequency and sphincter remodeling are some of the aggressive and effective options you can discuss with your general surgeon.

Good Luck

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.