User Profile
should I see a doctor? Since my periods started they have always been heavy and I have pass blood clots regulary (every time I go to the toilet). A year ago I started to pass a lot of blood from my anus when I was on my period. This still happens but not to the same extent, is this a problem as I dont experience any pain?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A6574

The symptoms you reported (heavy bleeding from the anus) might indicate a possible lesion in the anal mucosa. The fact that the anal bleeding appears only when you have your period might be related to a fistula between the anus and the uterus or, less likely, the vagina.

If you previously had heavy pelvic infections, the probability for this condition is higher. If this particular fistula is present, then the blood, that is lost from the uterus when the inner layer detaches, passes through the canal shaped fistula in the cavity of the rectum, which is the final part of the intestinal tract where the feces is collected before expelling.

Passing substances in the other direction (feces from the anus into the uterus) is also possible and might be cause for severe inflammation.

The detection of the fistula might be done with a simple rectal examination by a proctologist. Even if there is no fistula, this examination might detect the reason for the anal bleeding. If a fistula is detected, it seems likely that a surgery to remove it might be needed.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.