Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

an allergic reaction or something other than a STD...

User Profile
I masturbate a lot and I use neosporin as a lubricant. I noticed after a long session the other day that I had some bumps on the base of my penis and on the upper scrotum area, at first they were red now they are skin colored, itch a little, but do not look like cauliflower or anything bad really, they are just dome shaped and only a couple have hair follicles through them the others do not. I have a GF that I have sex with but I am more concerned this is a allergic reaction or something other than a STD..... Any thoughts?


Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2012
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A35713

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

These can be due to irritated or infected hair follicles. This starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics like Neosprin can be used after consulting a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.