Medical Questions > Relationships > Troubled and Abusive Relationships Forum

an abusive relationship? mine has some characteristics.

User Profile
I'm writing because I'm confused. I'm in a relationship for 4 years and I'm not happy. I read about what constitutes an abusive relationship and mine has some characteristics.
Ever since he moved in with me 2 years ago his character changed completely. He quit his job and didn't bother finding another even though we needed the money. Eventually I asked my dad to hire him in his company. He doesn't like any of my friends (too old, too young, too boring etc) and doesn't want to go out with me and them. He has become stingy and every time I ask him i.e. to go on a trip he says he doesn't have money. I wanted us to buy a bookcase for our house and when I told him the price he walked out on me in the middle of the street he was livid. When I ask questions that he doesn't want to answer he will stare at me or walk away. He rarely says something positive or inspiring and is not happy that I earn more. He will come to me for intercourse once a month and blame me for it.
Is that abuse?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile doldrums

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2011
Troubled and Abusive Relationships Answer A25823

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Definitely what you are having is psychological abuse which is characterized by a person subjecting or exposing another to behavior that may result in psychological trauma, anxiety or depression.

Although you are under stress but you have to realize that bad times do not last forever. Every cloud has a silver lining as well. Try to identify and focus on activities that make you feel better. Motivate yourself to do things for yourself, talk to your family and friends and discuss your stress with them. They will help you find a solution to your problem.

Talk to your husband/partner and give him all the psychological support. If he is is having any stress, then your psychological support will help him. But if he behaves the same way, it will be better to talk to your family and walk out of the relationship.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Troubled and Abusive Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.