Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Amphetamine+SSRI and Trouble Blending

Whenever I blend SSRI's with amphetamines I get weird sleep issues. I think the amphetamines elevate the seretonin even more from the SSRI's and too much seretonin for me means crappy sleeping/twitching at nighttime. I wish I didn't have to sort of pick between the two. I have a doctor who thinks I'm a hypochondriac because of switching my medicines but the thing is, I have a ton of contraindications with SSRI's and amphetamines being used together that nobody really sees but me (because I deal with it daily). I try to explain that both the SSRI+Amphetamines don't work the best together, but I can't really sleep with just stimulants, nor can I handle the ADHD meds without SSRI's. Methylphenidates are about the only option I see I have left, but they have not worked well for me in the past nearly as well as the amphetamines do. I'm contraindicated for the ADHD meds from severe OCD, but also have severe ADHD diagnosed, so I'm always just like what do I want today; anxiety or ADHD? It's a constant battle of what do I want to do, and I've tried hard sleeping meds; such as sedative hypnotics and by far the best for my sleep is SSRI's. However, Lexapro/Zoloft are the only two I "like." Keep in mind, I have crappy experiences with both in different ways from bloating, constipation, sleep twitching, increased ADHD from SSRI meds, etc. but I don't sleep well with them either. Only low doses of SSRI's do me any good and too high actually jacks my anxiety up even more from the excessive sedation. Lexapro moves through me quicker do to it metabolizing faster with me ( I have proof of this ) and Zoloft is slower, but neither are particularly pleasant. I guess I'm on my own on this one because my doctor and pharmacist have been unable to resolve this annoying conflict I have, but I am curious if anyone else had/has problems blending SSRI and Amphetamine. I really don't feel like trying methylphenidates because they just feel too dang ineffective for me, but I guess I may have to in time. I have a really crappy way of metabolizing stimulants, so metabolizing things fast really screws me over from them burning through my system and an immediately powerful effect from stimulants causes bad anxiety/headaches/nausea if I'm not careful. I suppose I could try high dose methylphenidate, but if I tried to ask my doctor about that now he would probably thus continue to think I'm a hypochondriac and not even want to treat me anymore. I feel very stuck and annoyed with this situation, as it's so blasted hard to find a happy-medium. Going hard on benzo's/Lunesta is not fun for me, as once I'm on them I get a lot of insomnia rebound and will have 3-4 days of crappy sleep. I've learned throughout my experiences that the best thing that's worked for me is low dose SSRI+Amphetamine, but that is still annoyingly problematic.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2019
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Sedative hypnotic should be taken for first ten days of using SSRI to avoid its insomnic and panic attack like effects.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.