Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

AML remission time ?

User Profile
I have AML, Iv'e been in remission going on my 5th year. Doctors, Is it true that 5 years is the most time I can hope for? I'm on Vesanoid, have been the time, too keep me in remission, I am so fsr, but I have children at home still, and I just need too know, is this it? At my last Appointment with my oncologist he said my blood work was great better than it had ever been..So my question is, Is this the year when the DR."s expect the cancer too return, and is it true that the chemo, and the same treatments used before, won't work again? Basically, Is there no chance for me too be cured? I'm really scared, Can you please help me? My Dr. never seems too have the time to answer questions, Is there anything I can do, to make sure my cancer stays in remission?
Thank you,
ShawnnaC

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Leukemia Answer A12267
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the prognosis of AML and if 5 years is the maximum remission that you have.
Acute Myeloid Leukemia can be controlled and sometimes cured. Its prognosis depends on a variety of factors that is patient-specific.
AML can be kept in remission for a long period of time or even cured in some adults. Depending on certain factors such as, the characteristics of the leukemia cells, some patients have a better prognosis in comparison to others.
- Adults below 65 years 5-year survival rate - about 33%
-Adults above 65 years - 4% only
Many people who actually live much longer than the average 5 years.
The prognosis of a patient depends on the following factors:
1. Patient’s age and race - Younger patients and Caucasians have a good prognosis, while patients older than 60 years and patients of African- American descent have a poor prognosis.
2. Subtype of AML - M3 has good prognosis while the M7 type has poor prognosis.
3. Patient’s response to therapy
4. AML that follows myelodysplastic syndrome or myeloproliferative diseases has a poor prognosis.
5. Elevated lactate dehydrogenase levels has a poor prognosis.
6. Cytogenetics plays an important role in predicting the progress of an AML patient as t(8;21),t(15;17),inv(16) have 5 year survival rate >70%.
The experience of living with cancer is a traumatic one and has a great impact on its victims. Nevertheless it is possible for people to make healthier choices in order to improve the quality of life. Some tips are -
-Increase intake of healthy food. Eat more servings of fruits and vegetables.
-Avoid fatty or processed food.
-Avoid alcohol
-Exercise regularly. Regular exercise is known even to prevent cancers.
-Rest when required.
-Seek the help of support group or seek counselling if necessary.
You can discuss the points with your oncologist who will guide you about the prognosis in your case.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.