Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

AML complicated by internal hemorrhage.

User Profile
Hello, an ultra sound indicated a heterogeneous, mildly vascular, containing 2 distinct hyper- and hypo- to isoechoic with linear strands components mass measuring overall 7-7 x 3-9 cm arising from the mid to lower pole. The findings are most likely in keeping with AML complicated by internal hemorrhage.

The doctor explained what AML is and that the mass is large on top of the right kidney near the adrenal gland. I am to go for an CT Scan and then be followed by a urologist. He said I should stay home and do nothing until we know what's going to be done in fear of a hemmorrhage.

So my questions are:
-why a urologist and not a nephrologist
-considering the size and location, is surgery imminent?
-can the tumour be removed without the removal of part or all of the kidney
-is this a genetic condition? Could I have caused it?

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A18830

Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Urology is the surgical specialty dedicated to the treatment of disorders and diseases related to the genito-urinary organs including the kidney, ureters, bladder, prostate and the genitalia (male and female).
A nephrologist is a physician who has been trained in the diagnosis and management of kidney disease. Nephrology is a subspecialty of internal medicine.
Since your problem is a surgical issue a urologist is treating you.

The condition described in the ultrasound can be treated with complete removal of the mass but leaving the normal parts of the affected kidney intact. Partial nephrectomy also called kidney-sparing surgery or nephron-sparing surgery is a excellent treatment option for patients diagnosed with kidney tumors.

Angiomyolipoma (AML) is a benign renal neoplasm composed of fat, vascular, and smooth muscle elements. 80% of such tumors are due to sporadic genetic mutations (Isolated AML). Some tumors can do occur in association with tuberous sclerosis. Tuberous sclerosis is a genetic disorder with an autosomal dominant pattern of inheritance.

You might consider consulting your treating doctor for clarification of any other doubts that you might have.

I hope this information here is helpful

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.