Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Crohn Disease Forum

Amitriptyline for crohns disease ???

I,ve had crohns disease for 24 years, 3 bowel resections and endless different medications etc. At the moment i am taking Humira and methotrexate but still have active disease and constant pain. My doctor has just prescribe amitriptyline which is an antideppresant, but apparently it can help with crohns. I can't seem to find anything that supports this theory? Has anyone else been prescribed this drug, or had any success with it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 6th, 2010
my doctors did the same thing for me, i have fibromyalgia as well as crohn's. the amitriptyline was helpful but had too many undesirable side effects, so they switched me to noritriptyline (another antidepressant in the same class). The only side effect I've experienced with this is dry mouth, but I already have that from my other meds so I'm used to it. I take it with my evening meds because it can make you drowsy, it also helps with migraines.
|

replied February 13th, 2011
I also take amitriptyline. Apart from being an antidepressant it also helps you sleep and, theoretically, helps manage long term pain.
|

replied November 27th, 2016
Use of amitriptyline
I had crohns disease since birth but wasn't diagnosed until I was 3. I'm 62 now. I have been on a small dose of amitriptyline for several years and has helped immensely.. even though its an antidepressant, I'm using it because it also slows down the peristaltic action of the gut. Never had any side affects like so many others have. I guess I'm just lucky.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...