Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Ambien CR, Anxiety Attacks (Page 1)

I am a 37-year-old woman from N.Y. who has never had any health problems. Back in Feb. of 08 I started taking Ambien to help me sleep at night. After 4 weeks, I started feeling a huge pressure in my chest and panicked feelings. Another two weeks and I was having anxiety attacks so bad that I could hardly drive, work, attend any outside functions or anything for that matter. When I returned to the Doctor to report what was going on, my doctor assured me that it was not the Ambien and referred me off to Mental Health for phsyc. evaluation. After 8 weeks I finally threw the pills in the garbage (positive that this was the cause of my problem) it took another two weeks for the MAJOR effects to start to go away.
I think that people really need to have more information posted on the web about the side effects about Ambien. I have suffered from major anxiety attacks, neurological problems (spasms, twitching, arm numbness and something that feels like restless leg syndrome over your entire body.) After 4 months of this I am still having problems, the effects have not gone away; not for even one day. Some days are better than others but it is like being on a roller coaster and not knowing when it's going to run your ass over.
I have lost so much financially, physically and emotionally because of this drug. If I can help anyone by posting this form it will be well worth it. This is a HORRIBLE thing to have to go through and it lasts for so damn long.
Feel free to contact me if you have had these problems or need a little support.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper steelangel
|
Users who thank steelangel for this post: carla123`  kjinfl 

replied May 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Neurological "twitching" is very common with alot of drugs. I it were me, I would take these symtoms and talk to your doctor about them. Sounds like it is doing you more harm then good.
|

replied June 16th, 2008
ambien cr and anxiety
this message is for steel angelo regarding the horible effects from ambien i too have these effects. i took two on may 5th and life has been hell for me ever since. no one believes me that it is the ambien causing this. i would like to hear how you are doing now that it has been since febuary as i need some encouragment. i am in torment 24/7 and would like to know of your progress and what you are doing to help yourself. please respond.
|

replied January 25th, 2009
ambien and adrenal stress
Dear steel angelo, so sorry to hear about your trouble with ambien. I took it for 18 nights and also had panic attacks. But I found out it also stressed my adrenal glands. This caused me to not be able to tolerate any stress at all. My doctor told me that adrenal stress usually goes undiagnosed. As I read your symptoms, I experienced the very same ones. They lasted for about two months. My doctor said that I had to do bedrest for one month to give my adrenals a chance to rest and rejuvenate. I did. I feel like I am well again. Ambien is a devil of a pill yet the doctors are too careless or unconcerned to admit what is going on. I hope you are feeling better. I hope my message will help someone.
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
anxiety with Ambien
I have recently been using Ambien to help me get used to a CPAP. I did not experience any problems at first, but over the last week have been having horrible anxiety similar to what is described above. I have had the feeling of a knot in my stomach and heaviness in my chest. I'm going to quit taking that crap.
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2009
Supporter
Yes, stop taking it. Ambien has a lot of horrible side-effects. It made me sleepwalk and almost drive off in my car in the middle of the night. It caused me everything but sleep. I know the original post is old but one thing that I've noticed is that doctors will never admit that a medication is harmful or the cause of a medical problem. I won't get into the reasons but I can tell you that they care more about losing money than their patients well-being.
|

replied March 10th, 2010
Ambien anxiety
Back in 2007...I was still a heavy drinker/smoker and weight around 245....had been drinking since 1999 or 2000. I started losing weight after my trip to England. (Walked us like crazy on our trip) I was taking Ambien...but very lightly. At the end of 2008...I quit drinking all together and was on Ambien regular. I am now taking around 2-3 a night and even some during the day when I'm tired and need to sleep.

Since then....I have lost around 70-80 pounds. I'm down to 165. My lifestyle has totally changed since 2007 and early 2008. I quit drinking altogether...not a drop really(still smoke), joined the Y and changed my eating habits. Stay pretty active. Now, at 165 and around 5'9" n height, people are complaining that I am too skinny. That I look like a skeleton. And now...partly because of this.....my anxiety is through the roof. It's so bad sometimes...I experience the annoying habit of noticing myself breath. Which if you have ever had it, you know it's not good. HELP!

So I've been trying to gain weight. I eat all kinds of stuff. Greasy pizza. Hamburgers. Candy. Milkshakes. Nothing. No weight gain.

My questions are this....did quiting drinking contribute to me losing all of the weight? Does alcohol slow down your metabolism? Where is the anxiety and the breathing issues coming from? HELP!
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
He is clear in what He asks and clear in what He offers. The choice is up to us.Isn't it incredible that God leaves the choice up to us? Think about it. There are many things in life we can't choose. We can't, for example, choose the weather. We can't control the economy.We can't choose whether or not we are born with a big nose or blue eyes or a lot hair. We can't even choose how people respond to us. But we can choose where we spend eternity.
|

replied March 29th, 2010
Ambien and Adrenals
omusrick mentioned in January 2009 that Ambien caused stress to his adrenals. Has there been any more research into this for the past 15 months?
|

replied July 16th, 2010
I am a 52 year old healthy female. My jaw dropped when reading steelangel's post. It is the mirror image of what I am currently going thru. I have run the course of doctor's, counselor, psychiatrist and cardiologist. I have tried cutting the dosage of ambien back from 1 10 mg. tablet to about 3/4. The symptoms got worse. My husband and I are considering time off for my withdrawal on this drug and possibly detox. Thank to all who shared their experiences. It has given me some peace of mind.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
ambienill here again. I went to an internist/psyciatrist at a detox facility who specializes in ambien addiction. He switched me to 1 mg. of clonazapam for 4 weeks and I am now being weened off of that. Currently I am on 3/4 of a mg. and will continue to go down by 1/4 every 3 weeks. I spent one night in the detox facility to see how I would react to the drug. No problems. I felt better after the first night and have been pretty much myself ever since. You cannot drink anything, even a non-alcoholic beer, because they actually have .05 percent alcohol in them. That is a very important thing to know. The only side effect that I still have is the occasional twitch when I get tired. There is help out there and just going off of Ambien by yourself is not recommended or very effective when you are having severe side effects like I was having. I am so happy to have my life back again. No more panic attacks, nervousness, crying jags, etc. I will let you know how it goes as I reduce the amount of Clonazapam to see if I can fully recover from the hell of Ambien.
|

replied September 11th, 2010
I think that you should be careful, you should take care of your body! You should know in advance about the side effects?!
|

replied September 13th, 2010
limon512,

Gee, lets see captain obvious. I went to my physician, talked with her about the side effects and took the prescribed amount. I am only posting about my recovery to help others that are having the same problems. I hope you never have to go thru anything like this, but then again it might bring you down off of your high horse. Every prescription, even vitamins can have side effects. I do take care of myself by the way and I do read the possible side effects. The side effects I got weren't even listed.
|

replied September 30th, 2010
ambienill here again. My recovery is going well and am down to 1/4mg. of the Clonazapam. I do take both the Melatonin 1 mg. and Clonazapam about an hour before bedtime to help me sleep. I am also taking L-Theanine 200 mg. twice a day to help with any anxiety, which is very mild. I got it from the local health food store. Two more weeks and I should be off of the Clonazapam altogether.
|

replied October 11th, 2010
ambien-no-longer-so-ill. Went off of the Clonazapam three days ago. The L-Theonine seems to be working well, but am taking it three times a day for now to help with any anxiety, which is minimal. I'm only sleeping about 5 hours at most per night, but that was my problem to begin with, not sleeping well. Am still taking the Melatonin. Good luck to anyone with the same addiction, it is do-able to successfully get off of this stuff and recover, but it takes time, patience, and a doctor that knows what (s)he is doing when it comes to addiction and this particular drug. Signing off.
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2010
Ambien and Anxiety
I am having the same issues with Ambien. I was prescribed it for sleep. I am an insomniac off and on for about ten years now. I did not want to be on "psych" meds due to already being on some anti depressants. We talked about Ambien, and it seemed to be the right choice. I was very, very wrong.

The first month was great. I had no memory issues, I slept great and it seemed to be going just fine.

Now for the past week and a half, I have been running into headaches and increased anxiety. Now I am already prone to anxiety and anxiety attacks. I am prescribed Xanax for this. I thought it maybe the Xanax causing my issues, but it looks like it's the Ambien. When I wake up, I am tight as a rubber band, full of nervous energy and have to take a Xanax to calm me down. At this point I am medicating my medications. Big time fail.

I am talking with my Dr to put me on Clonazapam, and I am not sure what to do about my dosage of Ambien. I am currently taking 10mg of it at night, but I want nothing to do with it any longer. Can I just replace it with Xanax until I am somewhat back to normal? Seriously, I am not loving the way I feel at all.
|

replied December 27th, 2010
The Clonazapam will take the place of the Ambien. Don't take both. Ambien is a short acting benzodiazapine where Clonazapam is a long acting benzodiazapine. My doctor told me not to try and go off of the Ambien by myself. Once you start the Clonazapam, you can go off of it. I can't speak to whether the Xanax will help you get off of the Ambien. Smart to consult with your doctor before doing anything. Good luck to you.
|

replied September 7th, 2011
I have always wondered if Ambien did this to me ` the anxiety, palpitations and the restless leg syndrome (yet what it really most resembles is WHOLE body restless syndrome). Every medical professional has dismissed it being the cause. I'd been off if for about 3 years and STILL experienced the symptons to a slightly lesser degree. Recently started Ambien again out of desperation in not getting sleep...low and behold the symptoms increased! Thanks for starting this thread!
|

replied October 1st, 2011
I've never had problems with anxiety or depression but the symptoms of both are worsening with each night of Ambien 10mg. I'm on my 3rd bottle of 30 pills and stopping tonight. I'll echo what others have said, nevous energy in the morning, fatigued by noon and massive anxiety by 5pm. Instead of coming home from work with energy, I do everything I can to make dinner and take the dog out before laying in bed for the night. On the weekends I find myself in bed all day. I've always been very active and these issues have all cropped up since beginning the Ambien. Ambien is the only variable I can positively associate to the symptoms. Ambien hell ends tonight.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
Ambien
Until reading this forum I had no idea ambien could be causing my severe panic attacks, crying jags and palpitations. I'd like to believe it isn't true because I love the sleep I get with ambien. I've had anxiety and panic attacks in the past so how can I know if it's now the ambien?
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...