Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Am I too late to be receiving anti-rabies treatment?

User Profile
Dear Doctor,

On 23/Feb 2014 I was scratched by a kitten. I am not sure if the fellow bit me. I tried to catch the kitten and out of excitement it scratched me because it is not used to people.
I washed my hands with soap and with Detol solution.
I didn't take much notice of this whole episode because, this same kitten has scratched me before.
The kitten is less than 4 months old. We don't own it. The kitten would stay in our garage. We would give it food.
10th day after the incident, I noticed the kitten missing. Until the 10th day the kitten was healthy and did not display abnormal behaviour. The day the kitten went missing, we had some visitors at home. There were little kids who would meddle with this kitten, so I am not sure if the kitten ran away out of fear.
12th day after the incident, I saw a doctor, I was given tetanus and Verorab.

There are 2 things I want to know
1. Am I too late to be receiving anti-rabies treatment
2. Is it possible that the kitten does not have rabies

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2014
Infectious Diseases Answer A48657
Thank you for asking
Odds for kitten having rabies are less likely. And no you are not late for the vaccination.any thing before 42 days is cool.
But earlier the better. It's a standard procedure. Had the kitten rabies it would not have survived for 10 days.
Not every cat or dog has rabies.what we do is to be on the safer road and get prepared for worst case scenario. The should not worry you.
I hope it helps. Visit our health centre for further guidance.
Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infectious Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.