Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

am I in danger of thyroid cancer?

User Profile
Hi doc! I am 33 y.o, in a weight-loss procedure the last year, which was extremely slow, so, i thought to check my thyroid. So, after the ultrasound, i got those results:
"The checked thyroid gland shows diffuse parenchymal heterogeneity and micronodular texture while the checked perfusion is slightly reduced. The dimensions of lobes measured are 43.6x21.1x15.1 mm right and 49.2x18.5x14.5 mm left.Based on these measurements, the calculated gland volume is nearly 14 cc, the upper limit of normal.
The isthmus is also checked to be found heterogeneous and mildly thickened.The findings could be attributed to autoimmune thyroiditis.
Must be marked the presence of solitary lymph node of short diameter about 5.5 mm,below the isthmus,in the area of the sternal notch."
I will definitely see an endocrinologist, but i want your opinion too... The question is: am I in danger of thyroid cancer? I don't drink or smoke, I eat healthy and I have no thyroid cancer family history. Thank you in advance!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2012
Thyroid Cancer Answer A37380
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Relax as thyroiditis has very good prognosis and very rarely cancer may develop.
The findings are to be corelated with thyroid hormone levels so probably you might be required to do all the Blood tests related to thyroid.Just by seeing the Ultrasound report it is very difficult to comment about the cause of thyroiditis or to comment on its function- hyper or hypo thyroidism.

Usually thyroid hormone replacement therapy is prescribed if body does not produce enough hormone or if there is suspicion of thyroid failure.Multiple nodular appearance of thyroid gland is a normal appearance and is not related to any pathology.

Consider visiting a Physician for detailed evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.