Ok, i'm 14 years old. I'm female. I think i have bipolar.
I started suffering from depression about 2 years ago. It lasted for a few months and then i got better. Now i feel depressed all the time. It usually lasts for about 2/3 weeks (but it feels longer) and then i become almost hyper and really happy, laughing at random silly little things. That usually lasts for about 1/2 weeks.
I get angry and frustrated very easily. I have suicidal thoughts very often, and self harm. But i cant commit suicide, as the pain and grief i would cause my family would be unbearable.

The reason i'm asking someone on this just know is because i don't wanna tell my mum and dad yet. I want a diagnosis but going to my local GP means that i would have to take one of my parents as i am under the age of 16 glance

Someone reply quickly pleasee.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Bipolar diagnosis is not a simple process that can be done in a 30 minute or less session...

An indepth mental, chemical, family history, etc analysis would need to be done.

However there are some doctors who don't want to take the time to do this and just because a person is 'moody' bipolar is given....and this is wrong.
|

replied May 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Re: Am I bipolar
If you have suicidal thoughts, you NEED to tell your parents ASAP. That is nothing to play with -- it is considered a medical emergency and you need to address that as soon as you can when it happens. I cannot speak for your mom and dad, but as a parent I would want to know that my daughter trusted me enough to discuss these things with me and I would do everything in my power to make sure that she had what she needs
|

replied October 10th, 2009
I'm also 14 anda I think I can be bipolar too.
But I never though in suicide, but sometimes I'm very happy anda always talking and everything and then I start to feel real sad like my life is bad and everything is getting wrong. I also can get really irritaded with everything that someone say to me.
I also don't wanna tell my parents yet, I'm not sure and I don't wanna get them worried about me.

(I'm sorry about my english but I'm portuguese)
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Experienced User
it dose sound like bipolar symptoms. i agree with bteck59 u should tell your parents.

im pretty sure you can go to the dr without your parents at that age, well in australia you can.

i have bipolar and before i got treatment i felt how you describe. now my life couldnt be better i am able to deal with life much better and im all good and happy with everything 99% of the time. im not on antidepresants but mood stabelizers.

i hope you get well soon, best wishes!
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2009
Experienced User
depression happens. if you are sixteen know that this happens to a lot of teenagers your age. so go get help. but i recommend that you remember yourself and your values. don't get swept away in what depression should be and who you should be just because of it.
|

replied April 11th, 2010
I was 14 and just like you and yes I was and am Bipolar, you sound like a rapid cycler though. I wish I had told my Mom back then because I think treatment at an earlier age would have saved me alot of heartache and grief from the years of crazyness. Please remember that your parents love you and want you to be OK. They need to know. The longer Bipolar goes untreated the worse it can become.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...