So, in january I started taking lithium, along with my lexapro. My doctor decided I needed it after a debilitating cocaine and ecstacy spree (not to mention I had a problem for years with alcoholism). I had gotten very suicidal and would go into delusional paranoid states. I was on a low dose, only 600 mg (my doctor wanted me to up it, but I felt like a vegetable). I quit doing drugs, and mostly quit drinking ( i have a beer occasionally with dinner, but no binging any longer). I became very physically active, running, riding my bike, rock climbing, and started to feel really good. However, I had to be pushed to do things. I had absolutely no motivation to do anything, and although my moods had smoothed out my mental state (they smoothed out, but not enough for me to stay on it) they only smoothed out my obsessing over things that didn't matter. I was still irritable.

So. I stopped taking lithium because it made me not care, made me gain weight, made me lazy, and mostly i quit taking it for the stigma that follows people who take lithium. It made me ashamed of who I was.

However, now I am irritable all the time. I'm not sure if it's just stress, which I have been under a lot lately. My boyfriend also just got off of klonopins for severe panick attacks, and is also really irritable.

I'm not sure if I am bipolar, or if I was misdiagnosed, if I just have anxiety disorder, or something else. It seems like my moods are triggered by something external, but then sometimes I completely lose it and get hysterical and am a completely different person. Manic depression runs in my family, my brother has it, and my father has it, however so does anxiety disorder (my mom's side).

The lithium made me feel a lot better, but I'm not sure if it made me feel good enough to still be on it. I don't like being unmotivated. I'm debating whether to get on it again, or go to the pdoc to try something new.

bottom line: are there any good alternatives to lithium that don't make you lethargic? or as lethargic?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lynn500
|

replied April 26th, 2008
hey i had sex with a girl and i did nt use a condome.hw lng do we have until she cant have the injection and has 2 get a abortion?
|

replied April 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Go see your pdoc again. There are lots of alternatives. Mood stabilizers may do the trick for you. Talk with your doctor. Tell him how you feel, how you felt on the lituium - the pros and cons of taking lithium, and report the side effects you experienced. See what your doctor has to offer for treatment. I hope you will discuss this with your doctor and get some professional advice.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...