Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Alternatives for PCOS induced acne, hirsutism, high androgens?

Hello, I take Spironolactone 100 mg daily for PCOS but am having severe side effects. I don't tolerate Metformin or any birth control pills either. Is there anything else besides these medications that will help my acne & block testosterone? I have heard Finasteride works but not for acne.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
There are numerous drugs and each one have few or some side effects.You need to be evaluated about this.Lifestyle modification in the form of loosing weight,regular exercise and avoidance of junk food do a lot.Try these and meet your doctor for a lower dose contraceptive pills with minimal side effects.You also need to be a bit tolerant and supportive.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.