User Profile
Alternative to Gallstone surgery: i\'m 32 yr old male, HWP 5\'10\'\' 169#. I have been diagnosed with gallstones 2 yrs ago. Supposedly have had them since I was 9 but never tested. Since altering my diet 2 yrs ago, I do not experience attacks, but occasionally feel small aches and light cramps. CT scans show MANY stones. My dr wants GB removal, but I do not. He is adamant on lithotripsy being a waste of time for someone my age/good health. He also feels that the post-shattered stones will get stuck/create problems for me. What about acidol/bile salts? I excersise 2-3x a week, but last 3 years my cholesterol tests (only have been tested the last 3 yrs) have been at dangerous levels for LDL, NON-HDL and HDL is under normal range. TriGlyc is great though. I just keep reading terrible post-surgery regret stories, and feel that if the stones were removed and GB kept, then I would be just fine/cholesterol might get better naturally. (using salts or lithotripsy) Advice please?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A16929
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out.

Honestly speaking, the recurrent pains and aches which you’re having are likely due to recurrent inflammation of the gall bladder only and the only remedy for the same is surgery only.

Nowadays, the gall bladder surgery is done through laparoscopy and the incidence of side effects is minimal.

Ursodeoxycholic acid is used for the treatment of the gall stones but unfortunately the success rate is very less and the best treatment of chronic cholecystitis is surgery only.

Please do consult a gastro-intestinal surgeon for the same.I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.