Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Alternative medicine for urinary retention

My grandfather recently had knee surgery - it was the first time he had ever undergone general anesthesia. During his recovery, he has developed urinary retention; the inability to empty his bladder. His doctors have attempted enemas and placed a catheter- nothing has solved the problem, despite numerous trips to the emergency room.

With a forthcoming, much dreaded, and possibly unnecessary surgery on his prostate tentatively scheduled for January, I am seeking any herbal or homeopathic remedies anyone can offer. I'm hoping for any advice that can help my grandfather avoid this pain and possible futher complications.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 25th, 2012
If it is as serious as - even catheterization is not of much help, then I am afraid Surgery looks inevitable. However, many Ayurveda product containing herbs like Tribulus, etc may help in temporary relief. Consulting an Ayurveda expert will be a good option.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
My grandfather did go through with surgery - without success. He is now consigned to life with a catheter strapped to his leg, but still he and my grandmother find comfort in his survival and even much needed humor in his condition.

However, if you can give me any further information on this subject, I would be grateful - web links, phone numbers, qualified physicians, or even herbal equivalents that I could pass on.

Thank you for answering.
|

replied February 29th, 2012
I am not sure I can let you know my personal details in this forum. Just click on my profile and get in touch with me, if something can be done, we can see.
It is unfortunate to know about failure of surgery. But with Ayurveda, I think the quality of life can be further improvised. If you know of any Ayurveda practitioner locally, that would be very great.
Wishing him quick relief.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
hi,
i am sorry to hear about your grandfathers suffering. There are some home remedies we use for retention. These are natural diuretics and will not harm.
1. Let him start the day with coconut water and then have a glass in the evening as well.
2. Pearl Barley water also works the same way as coconut water. So maybe you can alternate.
3. He can also try the panchtatva mudra, Mudras are amazing healers and easy to do. he has to the pose for minimum of 15 mins (either hand or both hands) and should do it atleast 2- 3 times a day till problem is lessened/healed. Am pasting link here for you to read more.

love
|