Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Alternative cancer treatment for stage 4 lung adenocarcinoma

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
Hi,

My father was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, stage four and the probable cause was maybe asbestos fibers, he worked all his life as a carpenter until october last year when he developed a consistant cough that would not go away. He went to the doctors several times and after he noticed that the treatment they were giving him was not having any effect he asked that an x-ray be done, it was then that it was discovered that he had cancer, we went for a second opinion and the cancer was confirmed, he also had pleural fluid in the lungs, through pleurodesis the fluid was removed, then talc solution was inserted. After this he began a 6 month chemo cycle as follows:

Venous cannulation and check vein patency with 5 ml sterile Normal Saline flush. Reconstitute chemotherapy wearing gloves and face mask. Administer diluted chemotherapy as follows:
i.v Dexamethasone 8 mg slow bolus
i.v Granisetron 3 mg bolus
i.v CARBOPLATIN 450 mg in 500 ml Normal Saline over 45 minutes
i.v CARBOPLATIN 150 mg in 100 ml Normal Saline over 15 minutes i.v VINORELBINE 50 mg in 250 ml Normal saline over 30 minutes
i.v N Saline 100 mls over 30 minutes

Prescribe drugs to take home:
Tab Primperan 10 mg tds x 4 days to start on day 1 Tab
Granisetron 1 mg mane x 3 days to start on day 2 Tab
Dulcolax 1 tab od prn x 7 days

He finished his 6th cycle in late february this year, and two weeks ago , we saw his doctor, he advised that his condition has not changed significantly, that he could not admister him any more chemo cause it will cause him to get weak.

We his family find him to be ok, visually, he's a strong man and the chemo did not affect him that much, no weight loss, hair loss, depression, but only some loss of apetite in the beginning,

Since the doctors dont have any other solution we would like to know of any available alternative medicines that can be used,

We would be very grateful for any advice and help in any way possible

NB; i'm 28 and the only daughter in the family, i have one elder brother and younger ones,what are the possibilities of the family being infected by asbestos and should we be concerned about the possibility of having to face the same problem in the future, (my dad just got 57 in march this year).

many thanks, nana
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jennarochelle
|
Users who thank nmb83 for this post: susandiaz 

replied April 26th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied May 12th, 2011
I know what you are going through as my father was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and had several tumors around his heart.He went in to have his lung completely removed but once the doctors opened him up for the operation they basically just closed him up again and stated that it was too risky.At that point they gave him 3 months at the most to live.That was over 7 years ago and with a lot of prayers and family around he is still here.He gets tired easy and can no longer work but is not on oxygen.He still drives and gets out of the house.
Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason why these things happen.I know it has really brought our family closer together.I think the best advise is to stay positive and enjoy each and every day with your dad.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Hi Tosh, What type of Chemo or drugs did your Father take?

Raul
|

replied May 21st, 2013
I was pretty much in your exact same situation. I am 20 years old, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in Decemeber. He had pnemonia and a heart attack as well. It was the heart attack that had sent him in to the hospital. We were told that he might not have longer than a week to live. I immediatly dove into tons of research on the topic. I'm a student going for psychology, so this wasn't really my field, but I needed as much information as possible. My dad's mother had died from lung cancer as well. My dad's was caused by asbestos from being and HVAC technicion as well as smoking.

What I read online was mostly about how chemo and radiation does little to nothing to treat lung cancer. As my dad was inoperable and concidered incurable, they chose for him to do chemo and radiation in the hopes of prelonging the inevitable. I wasn't okay with just letting it be.

I read about how homeopathic methods have preformed miracles, together we decided there was no harm in trying it out. His diet consisted of eating all the fruits and vegetables he possibly could as they contain antioxidents. Tofu and soymilk which is rumored as a cancer killer. Bolthouse farm juice, especially the green goodness which contains blue green algae, also a cancer killer, fish and chicken. He was also drinking aloe vera juice, green tea and taking vitamins.
Stay away from red meat, sugar and carbs, they help the cancer spread. Avoid plastic and go organic.

5 months later and he is almost cancer free, one lymph node still has it. His doctors are dumbfounded and have begun to prescribe my regime. His doctor told him he had less than a 1% chance of ever seeing a decline in the cancer. They said he should have died months ago.

He has lost a lot of weight, and was still extremely weak from the chemo, but he is winning. Thats what counts.
I full heartedly agree with homeopathic methods...I believe they really do work.
|

replied June 9th, 2013
Jenna,
Is it possible for you to provide some of the resources you used for information. My father was just diagnosed with stage 4 NSCAC and has areas in the adrenal glad and hip showing activity. I am trying to get a handle on his nutrition during chemo. I am trying to compliment his chemo that he will begin next week, with proper nutrition. I find the oncologist knowledgeable in their field but lack sound advice as far as nutrition. If you had success, can you,please provide me with detailed information of your sources. I am getting overwhelmed with what is factual and "my friend tried this and it worked". How did you decide his regimen? What did you use as your guide for a cookbook. If I want this to help I can't expect my father to have only these crazy berry smoothies! Although they are good. I thank you in advance for your time.
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Hi Jenna

Unfortunately we are facing a similar problem with my aunt these days. Could you be so kind and send me your contact info so that I can get to know the specifics of your diet?

We are going after anything that has the most slim chance to save my aunt from this horrible disease and would be extremely grateful to listen to any ideas.

Best
mahmut
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2013
Experienced User
The Real Truth about cancer. There's probably more Junk Medicine being circulated about cancer that about any other disease. I'm hear more about Green Tea. Please do your research there is hope and me and everyone hear be proactive. There has to be a solution.
|

replied October 27th, 2014
Wow, this looks like a good site. My husband has lung cancer that metastacise as a result of his colorectal cancer. Doctor cancelled his scheduled 8 week radiation after finding out about his lung cancer detected from PET just two weeks ago. He is suppose to have his lung biopsy on 27th October. Doctor already mentioned stage 4 and appear pessimistic. My world turned beyond nightmare after hearing this. I heard about chemo/radiation as not effective, if at all, they do more harm than good. We're thinking natural treatment. Anyone has advice to share that as worked for them. Thank you so much.
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2015
Homeopathy is based on the theory of treating like with like. So to treat an illness a homeopathic therapist (homeopath) uses tiny doses of a substance that in large doses would actually cause the symptoms of the illness.

Homeopathic remedies are made from plant, mineral and animal substances. They are diluted in water and shaken vigorously many times until there is little, if any, of the original substance left. The water is used to make homeopathic liquid (drops), pills or creams. Homeopaths believe that the original substance somehow leaves a molecular blueprint in the water that triggers your body's healing mechanisms.
|