Hi, this is my first time posting here. I'd like to start off by mentioning that I am a 21yo female who has suffered from health anxiety in the past (believed I had a brain tumor).

I have become extremely worried over the past month that I may have ALS. I'm even convinced that I do have it. Anyways, these are the symptoms I have been experiencing: left hand thenar slight atrophy, on and off pain in my left shoulder and whole arm, breathing at night feels heavy (like my chest is heavy), left hand shakes sometimes when I hold certain things, and lastly muscle twitching (these seem to happen body-wide but I am noticing that they are predominantly in my left arm now).

About a month ago I had twitching in my right arm for what was a good portion of the day. This led me to look up causes of it and I was brought to ALS. After this, I noticed all these symptoms began to happen.

I am extremely worried that my symptoms seem to point to ALS, and they are all coming on so quickly. I am scheduled to see my doctor but unfortunately not for another 2.5 weeks. Does any one have any insight? It would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. In young age with No prior history I don't think it is ALS. However there is no harm in getting evaluated for it. All you need is a good neurological examination and some workup like needle electromyography and MRI scans if yourdoctor consider you worthy of it otherwise a normal neurological examination on its own is enough to rule out this motor neurone disease. I believe this is anxiety and it's causing you to worry too much about it . Also the twitches you mentioned could just merely be a muscular spasm which is very common so don't worry about that take some muscle relaxants and some time and no and hope for the best. ALS is not that much common. Think common and commonest to think about is anxiety. I hope your worries are relieved.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.