User Profile
While attempting anal sex with a CSW (commercial sex worker), my condom broke, and for at least 10-20 seconds I was exposed to rectal fluids (although I couldn't/didn't penetrate very deep). I do not know the status of the CSW.

I am already on PeP (day 19 now). The medicine given to me is a combination of Efravirenz, Lamivudine and Tenfovir Disproxil Fumarate and I have been told to take it for 30 days (and not 28, as most guidelines suggest).

As per you:

1) is PEP warranted?
2) is my risk high,
3) Is the medicine right?
4) If I do a CMIA test while I am on PeP, will it be accurate?

Hoping that you will help me...thanks in advance

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2017
HIV and AIDS Answer A60343
Welcome to e health forum.

Your exposure is not like a experiment being done in a laboratory, which is usually in controlled environment where the components are usually calibrated well so as to have a proper desired result.

The exposure you had is like a accident in the laboratory, and the result would also be unpredictable. But it is certain that you have been exposed to some form of injury , in your case, possible infection.

If you think, you have had a exposure, all that can be done is to take steps to prevent the infection, hence your doctor has provided you post exposure prophylaxis. The therapy is being provided to you, as studies have shown PEP to be effective to reduce the risk of positive infections following exposures.

Hence it would be practical to continue them as directed by your doctor.

With regard to the testing, do the test after 12 weeks after the exposure, and a negative result will be conclusive.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: HIV and AIDS
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.