Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diabetic Diet Forum

already had 6 inguinal hernia surgeries...diabetic

User Profile
Hello Mate,
I already had 6 inguinal hernia surgeries. First surgery in 1988, then 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996 and finally in MARCH 2012, this one was with a mesh repair. What precautions should i take? please give me some advise. I am diabetic as wel but not taking any dosage for diabeties. PLEASE advise, THaNKYOU.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2012
Diabetic Diet Answer A33466
Welcome to e health forum.

Some of the factors that cause incisional hernias to occur in the operated area include obesity and nutritional disorders, which encourage the development of recurrence of hernia and need for repeat surgeries. Each subsequent time, the surgery will become more difficult and the risk of complications like post operative infections is greater.

To prevent recurrence of hernia a few precautions may be helpful -

1. Using an abdominal corset / binder in the early post-operative period
2. Avoiding smoking.
3. Treatment of conditions like chronic illnesses which cause symptoms like severe coughing should be controlled with proper treatment.
4. Avoid straining during bowel movement or passing urine. Conditions like enlarged prostrate, chronic constipation should be treated as well.
5. Reduction of weight and body fat tissue by proper diet and physical exercise.

In addition , you should consult with your doctor and seek proper treatment for medical conditions, including diabetes.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetic Diet , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.