Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Allopurinol and high blood sugar

I recently had my allopurinol dosage increased from 50 to 100 Mg. Since then, my blood glucose readings have sky rocketed. Has anyone experienced this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 23rd, 2019
Experienced User
I presume that you have been prescribed allopurinol to treat gout. I am not aware of any medical study that shows an increase in blood sugar with an increase in allopurinol dosage. There may be something else at work here that is the cause for your gout as well as your diabetes, or prediabeles. In particular, both gout and diabetes are known consequences of sleep apnea. Usually, once the sleep apnea is overcome, gout attacks cease immediately and completely. But in most cases the diabetes remains; the oxygen reduction from sleep apnea has reduced the mass of pancreatic insulin-producing cells beyond recovery. Even so, it's advisable for you to insist on getting tested for sleep apnea and to follow the recommended treatment to overcome it. Not only will it cure your gout, but it also will greatly reduce your risk for later development of other life-threatening consequences of sleep apnea.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....