Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gluten Free Diet Forum

Allergy to gluten without having Celiac Disease ?

Hi, I've been tested for Celiacs Disease after a number of problems with my stomach. The symptoms pointed to Celiac so I stopped eating gluten for a while, and then got tested when I knew the diet helped. It came out negative but I feel so much better without gluten... Is it possible that I have some sort of allergy to it, or is it something else that I'm not eating when I cut out gluten that I may be allergic to? I'm already vegetarian and have been for a while, I am going to try veganism to see if it's dairy that's bothering me... Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Celiac disease is only one form of gluten intolerance among many. It is likely that you are dealing with a form of non-celiac gluten intolerance. According to stats reported in the book, "Healthier Without Wheat," recent studies have estimated that "non-celiac forms of gluten intolerance are approximately 30 times more common than celiac disease and may affect up to 15% of the world's population." I would highly suggest checking out this book, as it has a lot of helpful information on this subject.
|

replied July 14th, 2011
I have the same issue where my health is much improved on a gluten free diet, but the traditional blood tests show me as negative for celiac. My Drs. are now running a genetic test, but that can be hard to get covered by insurance. On my own, I had a stool test run by EnteroLab and that did show up as positive, but this test is not generally accepted by traditional medical Drs. In my opinion, a more accurate and sensitive test needs to be developed that is accepted by the traditional medical community, because we just suffer too long until they recognize celiac disease or gluten intolerance. The beauty of it is that we can stay on the gluten free diet if it works for us and don't need a Doctor's prescription Smile

To answer your questions the recent research is pointing to the first reply by sfahs of different levels of gluten reactions. Additional resources are www.glutenfreesociety and the celiac disease research center at UMD and Dr. Alessio Fasano's research.

People with gluten inolerance also often have dairy intolerance as gluten can damage the intestine and therefore it makes it difficult to process dairy. I have both and am much improved since eliminating both from my diet. I am also being checked for food intolerances like egg.

Good luck, this is newer medical territory where you may not get clear answers from your Dr. so really need to do what is best for you.
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2013
Hi, My mom and I were tested for Celiac as well she came back 99.9% and I was 50% but we were told NOT to start a gluten diet until we had a 2nd test done so the doctor could see for sure that not only was it gluten but what kind of damage it has possibly done to our systems...My mom was for sure 100% Gluten and is now 4 years Gluten Free and I came back negative with Acid Reflex...Im sure you were Gluten Free but because you started your Gluten Diet before the doctor could do the test he didn't get an accurrate reading.
|

replied April 22nd, 2013
Gluten Intolerence and other allergies
My husband found out a year and a half ago that he is gluten intolerent. He just recently found out he is also allergic to soy products. We have found that if you have a wheat allergy it is likely you have other allergies also.
|

replied October 9th, 2013
Histamine reduction and symptom elimination
I dropped gluten from my diet over-winter and successfully improved my digestion. When spring came, I failed to exhibit my usual hay-fever symptoms. This absence of hay-fever symptoms repeated again in the fall. My understanding is that by eliminating gluten from my diet, I had reduced my blood's base level of histamines, so that when my allergic reaction to spring and fall pollens kicked in it didn't bump up my accumulated histamines to a symptom-producing level.
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....