I would like to know what over the counter medication can be taken with High Blood Pressure Medication
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2009
Supporter
I have moderately high blood pressure and I take Benadryl. One of the side effects of this medication is low blood pressure so I don't have to worry about how it affects my BP. It does make you drowsy, however. (Some cheap sleeping pills are only diphenhydramine- Benadryl.) So I take it a few hours before bed.
|

replied May 12th, 2011
It is NOT true that Benedryl lowers blood pressure. As far as I know, the only OTC allergy medication recommended for people with hypertension is Claritin (not Claritin-D). Zyrtec can be used as long as blood pressure is monitored closely and the drug is stopped when blood pressure is adversely affected.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2011
Supporter
I went by the information on the topic given by WebMD since the site is considered to be one of the more reputable health websites. But you can make your own determination about the validity of their claims. From what I understand, a person is pretty much safe in taking antihistamines but needs to be leery of decongestants; they can cause blood vessel constriction which can lead to an elevated blood pressure.
Bottom line- whatever medication a person opts for, they should monitor their blood pressure for changes to make sure that it does not adversely affect BP.
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....