Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Allergic to Psyllium Husks...FIber... IBS.. Crohns????

I'm gonna try an make this quick and informational. I'v been having constipation issues, since Jan 2011...I have become somewhat lactose intolerant I guess whenever I eat certain pizza or anything with Whey in it, I get diarrhea......I have very weird cramping , bloating and irritation in my anal area off and on for quite some time...Sometimes when I have a bowel movement it feels like I'm not finished. And I get lower back pain where my buttox starts.I exercise regularly and watch what I eat. Doctors think I may have crohns or Ibs.

I have finally. Got a appointment for a colonoscopy for January 29, 2012

When I saw the Doctor he prescribed me a vegetable fiber powder (Psyllium Husks) to take a teaspoon a day.
I do have allergies to pollen, dust mites, mold and certain trees etc but Its the end of November and I seldom have many issues once it gets cold here In Chicago. and iv been pretty much allergy free since October.... recently iv been sneezing, wheezing a small amount and my throat has been itching, eyes itching.....Is it possible that I'm allergic to something in the vegetable fiber..... Is it wheat in it etc etc..I'm just trying to put things together.

So I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to something in the product. My next thing would be If i was prescribed it what can I use to substitute.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 26th, 2011
You most probaby have a few food intolerances. It sounds like Irritable
Bowel caused by an amine, salycilate possibly even a gluten intolerance. Intolerances make you feel terrible, not all 'healthy' foods are good for you when you are sensitive to them. Write down what you eat at what time and go see a dietician. If your concerned about autoimmune diseases like crohns and coeliac disease a blood test of your antibodies would tell if you need further investigating. Pysillilum is a salycilate try dietry fibre from another source. Also constipation can be worse right after you have a period for about a week or too. Changing hormone levels play a big role on the digestive system which may explain why your more sensitive now and weren't when you were a kid. I know it's a horrible thing but if your badly bloated use a enema...
|

replied November 26th, 2011
Great Info Thanks... I Have a colonoscopy coming up in two months is this something they will be able to find out after the exam....
|

replied November 28th, 2011
Sorry i didn't read your first post properly. You colonoscopy will enable your gastro to take biopsies to test for coeliac diesase, crohns and also collitis - which are all auto-immune diseases. If they comeback positive you'll be closer to working out whats going on with you. If your biopsies are negative for all the nasty stuff - great you'll have peace of mind. Your best bet is to see a nutritionist, nautropath(cheaper options) and/or immunologist and a dietician so you can find out what your having reactions to. I personally started but cutting out wheat/gluten and felt better for a while, so your bread, pastas, biscuits and pastries. Usually you can find alternatives in the health food section so you don't feel too depressed about losing foods you like! It is very common to have a gluten intolerance and not be coeliac. Doctors can be pretty useless with the intolerance thing. The only way to find out is to do a food diary and find your triggers. When your cramp and bloat it can be from something you had 5 to 12 hours previous depending on how bad your body reacts. Try using inulin fibre instead of the husks. Avoid using senna laxatives, and products like ibuprofen and asprin they are salycilates. Try buscopan for your cramps which is hyosine bromide for IBS (this won't do you any harm if you do have a bowel disease). You can buy it in the pharmacy without prescription. Don't use lactalose if you think you have a problem with milk. Like i said use a suppository for relief. I personally have food avoidance lists from when i went through all this so if you have dramas finding someone to help you further down the track I can upload them and post a link on here.

Good luck!
|

replied November 28th, 2011
Thanks so much for the info, I see now that intolerance are hard to diagnose. I'm thinking it may be a reaction to gluten/wheat . But of course I'm not 100 percent sure. I know now though in the event all the tests come back negative I have to look into what I am exactly eating.If uploading the lists aren't to much trouble I would love to have them just in case whenever you get a chance. Thanks
|
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...