As long as I can remember, I have been experiencing allergic reactions to houses and apartments that I have lived in. Most of them have been older houses with hardwood and carpeting but a few have been new with carpeting. When I am in the house for more than a few hours, I begin to experience runny or stuffed up nose, sore throat, extreme fatigue, swollen/receding gums, bacterial skin infections, and occasionally headaches. I believe this is due to the age of the house, improper ventilation, dirty ventilation system, old carpeting, pathogens on old furniture, pet hair/dander, toxic mold, and general dustiness exacerbated by too many possessions. I myself am a minimalist and keep things very clean and organized, however I am only in my twenties and cannot yet afford to live on my own, so I have never lived without roommates. The people I have lived with usually have pets, or a large number of possessions which makes it impossible to keep the house clean for longer than a day. I am currently living with someone in an older house. This person has an excessive amount of possessions which collect dust. The furniture is also old and I believe it's harboring bacteria and dust mites. The room I am staying in has windows but they do not open and there are vents which push air into the room but no exit vent. The carpeting in the room is about 20 years old. No matter how much I dust or vacuum, it makes no difference. I still have allergic reactions. When I go outside I experience brief irritation which feels like a moderate burning and itchiness in my nose and mouth, which I believe is the pathogens being cleared out of my system. After I've been outside for a couple of hours, I feel somewhat better and only experience mild fatigue. I am wondering if anyone else also experiences this? I am positive that it is the houses I am allergic to, and not something else. I am moving out and into a cleaner place as soon as possible, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to relieve these symptoms.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 25th, 2014
I'm allergic to dust but my condition is not even half as serious as yours.The only thing you can do is stay away from the stuff that give you those symptoms.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i think the allergens need to be quantified and spotted by an allergist and immunologist and then help you avoid those to prevent allergies. Antihistamines will help with the relief.


Take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.