User Profile
I have a horrible rash that has been spreading over my legs for the past several months. It began a small lumps on the inside of my knee which I know have formed when I feel a severe biting sensation. These bumps then will stay for days or weeks and not do much. Then, after they have been around for a while, they will suddenly start itching like crazy and become inflamed- and look like hives. Then the swelling will settle- and they will turn into sore red bumps that take a week or so to go away. This began on my knees, has spread to the back of my thighs and is now working it's way down the front of my leg. It has happened for the last four years on and off- sometimes very severe other times mild or non existent. I don't believe that I was accurately diagnosed by my dermatologist because my condition never left. Could this be a food allergy? I have photos as well from a recent flare up. What could this be? Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2008
Allergies Answer A4475
Diagnosis that has been suggested: skin that builds up and needs to be ex foliated off
Current medical status: ongoing, treatment was ineffective for rash that flares at random times and spreads to other parts of my legs
Current medical treatment: ammonium lactate lotion to reduce bumps

It is hard to diagnose your skin condition only by the description you gave me. It could be a kind of allergic skin reaction but needs to be checked by a dermatologist.

You may want to ask for a second opinion from another dermatologist.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.