Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Allergic Reaction to Nair Hair Removal Cream?

Because of past problems, my mom will not allow me to use razors to shave. She buys me Nair to get rid of hair on my legs and underarms. I've been noticing that after use (I only use it about once a week), my legs and underarms get very itchy and my legs get little bumps all over about the size of mosquito bites. The itchyness happens usually right after I wipe/rinse the cream off, and the bumps will appear a few minutes later while I get dressed. Sometimes the itchness will get so bad that I have to scratch it. And when I do, it BURNS. I quite frequently put anti-itch analgesic lotion on my legs, but it does't help. One time, I was so tired of the bumps and itching that I did end up taking some Benadryl, hoping that it was an allergic reaction so it would help. I tried telling my mom about this, but as usual, she didn't listen and basically said that if I don't want hairy legs, I'm going to keep using it. I keep using it because at my age, hairy legs on a girl is Social Suicide. I really want to make it through high school, so I continue to use it. I have told a few people about this and they say it might be an allergic reaction, but I want opinions from a few more people before I ask my mom to let me talk to my doctor about it(she's probably going to say no, but it's worth a shot).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2013
Nair rash
Dude, your mom sucks. I hate it when parents totally dismiss anything and everything their child says. That is one thing I remember most about growing up. My parents were exactly like your mom, they didn't believe me when I told them I was raped. They didn't believe me when I told them my rapist was stalking me. When the school security called the police because he showed up at my school and burst into my classroom(we went to different schools) they told me it was just normal teenage love. Only when he broke into my house and forced me up onto the roof at knife point did they start to believe me. Sorry, your mom isn't taking your situation seriously. This sounds very much like an allergic reaction, I have the same exact thing happen to me when I use Nair. After I wipe it off and get dressed my legs start to itch uncontrollably, I try to ignore and gently rub them but that only makes it worse. Before long I notice small to medium sized redish itchy bumps all over my legs, that resemble mosquito bites or hives then the itching becomes so unbearable even Benadryl cream can't soothe it. I end up scratching and itching my legs with a hairbrush until the itching turns into burning. I am used to rashes, and hives because I have pretty sensitive skin and many things irritate it. I recommend using the Sensitive Skin version of Nair, or maybe trying wax. I would definitely talk to a dermatologist if this keeps happening. Good luck.
|

replied July 15th, 2017
Wow...i,myself,am a mom of 2 boys but i do remember having a mom who refused to let me shave bc of past issues as well and i had an allergic reaction to nair and it was BAD bc back then,google wasnt accessible for me bc of her and i was doing things to make it worse and didnt know it. So i faked sick to get an appt with the doc and showed him the rash and he gave me some cream that made it go away fairly quickly. I completely understand your frustration and its a shame that she won't listen or believe you. ...parents need to be more open to their kids,especially these days. This rash can cause permanent scars if you scratch enough and scars can also be social suicide. Please do whatever you can to see a doc asap! Im so sorry that you're going through this but hopefully ive helped. Good luck kiddo!
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....