Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Allergens and allergic asthma

User Profile
I have seen my doctor about this..he recommends getting rid of my cat of course but medication has worked before. Is there anything you would advise concerning this situation. The phlegm and throat sensation occurs periodically during the day most times mid afternoon and late evening when I am at work...and away from my cat.

Thanks very much.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2009
Asthma Answer A5743

Profession: Rare books conservator
Diagnosis that has been suggested: Asthma exacerbated by exposure to cats some bronchitis
Current medical status: I have constant phlegm ...a dry phlegm somewhat colorless most of the time. Sometimes slightly yellow but very sticky. A sensation of pulling at the back of my throat..like a slow mo crawling sensation when I swallow.

According to the data you supplied, you might be experiencing allergic asthma. The treatment for allergic asthma includes certain medications, but avoiding the allergens that provoke the conditions might turn out to be extremely useful.

You might want to have allergic tests to allergens that might be found in your surroundings such as: pet epithelial cells-from the cat, house dust mites and mold-at your work place (working with old books), pollen- out of home.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.