User Profile
I have already post a question namely"Eye allergy need help" . I was quite sure that cigarette smoke is the allergen. But today evening while I was resting on my bed some thing strange happened. And I should mention that I am a smoker. And when I am in a tea stall where 4 or 5 others smoking I do not have any problem. It only happens when I am in artificial light and inside a room also that sunlight does not affect me". Now it is about that strange thing ; my room was totally dark and I rested on my bed for around one and half hour, open eye and no cigarette or any other smoke entered that room in the past 10 hours. I was not sleeping and when I got up from my bed and went to the washroom on the mirror I noticed that my right eye is totally red.

So my question is whats going on what is the allergen? Is it Photo phobia or some thing else. I really don't know.

Please Help me
jojo

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2014
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A48415
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Red eye can be due to number of reasons, allergic conjunctivitis being one of them. Allergy to cigarette smoke can cause allergic conjunctivitis but then the allergy symptoms should appear irrespective of the light where you are smoking. If you are being effected by light then photophobia should be ruled out. For this please get an examination done from an ophthalmologist.

Also get diagnostic tests for cigarette smoke done which include nicotine allergy tests by skin patch test or blood tests like RAST or Lung function tests. It will confirm the diagnosis and then treatment can be started.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.