Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Alergic Sinusitis? Eye is noticeably sunken

Hi
So I'm a 17 year old male, and in the past two years I0ve lived with nearly constant head pressure, some eye pain, all of that worsens when lying down. Now my doctor thinks that might be caused by allergies as the Imunoglobulin E value was almost 30 times above normal... I began taking some anti-allergie medication and I started to feel better the pressure is not nearly as bad as it was. My right eye is a little more sunken than the left eye, it's quite noticeable. I can feel by touching that there is a difference in the orbital bone , the right it seems to have been eroded... Its not painful, not swollen\red, just sunken maybe 1,5 mm. What could have caused that, and will it reverse back to normal, will the bone reconstruct itself when the cause is treated or will i need reconstructive surgery? It's really noticeable, I'm self-conscious about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper FogAgain
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2014
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

It is difficult to say what could have caused a change in contour. You may need X-ray and CT scans to determine the cause. If there is loss of fat, then the contour may re-build. However, if there is damage to the underlying bone then it may need surgery.

It may also be a mucocele on one side causing that side to look more full than the other. However nothing can be confirmed without X-rays and CT scans. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

|

replied August 18th, 2014
I have an appointment for CT scans next week, but I'm almost sure there is damage to the bone, I can feel it just by touching. I was hoping maybe the bone could reconstruct itself when the underlying cause is treated but as it seems it won't I'll have to go to surgery... I stil feel a lot of pressure in my face\head sometimes some ear pain, sometimes I feel dizzy, it's really bothering me, I hope it's nothing serious... I'm a little worried because in the last 3 months I also lost a great amount of weight even though i eat a lot.
|
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.