Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Approximately 5 months ago I stupidly drank a litre of neat bacardi towards the end of a night of drinking and ever since if I drink any form of alcohol, even half a pint, I have really bad stomach pains and what feels like heart burn which can last up to a week. I didnt drink for about a month after the incident but then started having a few but have since stopped drinking but worry there might be a problem as i never experienced pain with alcohol previous to the incident?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2010
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Answer A13937
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Alcohol increases the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The hydrochloric acid itself may damage the protective mucous and may irritate the stomach lining causing gastritis (acute or chronic), which is characterized by pain in the upper middle abdomen and heartburn. If individuals experience additional bacterial infection with Helicobacter pylori, they may develop gastritis which may later result in an ulcer.

Given the data that you described, it is likely that you experience the pain due to hyperproduction of hydrochloric acid. Avoid drinking alcohol. If you still consume small amounts of alcohol, take it after you had a meal to prevent irritation of the gastric lining. You may also consider having a serological test to exclude possible infection with Helicobacter pylori.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.