User Profile
I have alcaholic fatty liver disease diagonised around 3 years back. Last 1 year I am on moderate alcahol and last 2 months on abstinance.

I have itching and loss of hair on the legs from toe to thighs. I read that itching is a symptom of Cirrhosis. All my blood tests are normal and thee are no other symptoms. Can this itching be related to cirrhosis. I am not taking alsohol last two months.

Last month I had a partial obstruction of small intestine which was treated conservatively after a hospital admision of 10 days. During this admission they did ultra sound scan and CT scan and all blood test and they did not find our any leisons.

I am terribly stressed and suffering from severy anxiety and depression. Request an answer.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2011
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A29749
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎‎

Fatty liver is a condition where fat is deposited (steatosis) in the liver cells. ‎

The most common causes of fatty liver is Alcohol abuse. Other causes include - obesity, hepatitis, ‎metabolic diseases like diabetes, and some medications. ‎

The condition is benign and reversible by following a lifestyle and dietary changes and specific ‎treatment of the underlying cause - Eg stopping alcohol, proper control of diabetes, physical exercise ‎and gradual weight reduction, etc. ‎

You can also take vitamin E supplements which will be of help too. ‎

Your symptoms of itching cannot be attributed to that of cirrhosis, since the liver function tests done at the hospital did not find anything abnormal.

The itching could be age related skin changes, dermatitis, dry skin, etc. You might consult with your treating doctors, or a dermatologist who can advice you accordingly.‎

But constructive steps like stopping alcohol intake, to prevent future problems and issues would be ‎helpful

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.