Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Age-46 is suffering from mild liver Cirrhosis?

User Profile
Respected Sir/Madam,
my elder brother (Age-46 is suffering from mild liver Cirrhosis.
1)On 26/02/2011-evening, he had blood vomiting,black stool.He was admitted to hospital.
2)Next day morning he had blood vomiting,black stool again.
3) Endoscopy was done and the findings were as follows-
Esophagel Varices.The-BANDING was done to prevent internal bleeding from esophagel small veins
4)His Himogram was less about 7.So blood was given
5)His blood test for HEPATITIS -C was done and it was positive...unfortunately.
6)Liver functioning test,sonography ,portal venous doppler test was done .
7)The findings were-mild liver Cirrhosis.Gall bladder completely contracted,both kidneys normal in size,liver margins are fairly smooth.
..The doctor says this is not curable and in future these things will be repeated.I am worrried.
..SM Chaudhari(India)
There is no answer for HEPATITIS -C-Liver Cirrhosis.....in alopathy??
Along with alopathy should we start Ayurvedic medicins also?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2011
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A20592
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Hepatitis C is an infection of the liver caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV). It is difficult for the human immune system to eliminate the virus from the body, and infection with HCV usually becomes chronic. Over decades, chronic infection with HCV damages the liver and can cause liver failure in some people.
Genotyping is important to guide treatment because some viral genotypes respond better to therapy than others. The genetic diversity of HCV is one reason that it has been difficult to develop an effective vaccine since the vaccine must generate viral proteins from each genotype.The ultimate goals of antiviral therapy are to eliminate HCV, improve or normalize the liver tests and histology (microscopic appearance), prevent progression to cirrhosis and liver cancer, prolong survival, and improve the quality of life.
But still there is a group of patients who are non responders to antiviral therapy. The current research includes the development of new formulations of interferon in the hopes of improving response rates. In addition, new agents are being tested in combination with pegylated interferon and ribavirin. Some of these agents, like telaprevir, inhibit protease enzymes that HCV needs in order to reproduce.
You can discuss all these options with your treating physician. I cannot comment on Ayurvedic therapy as I have no knowledge of the same.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post includes only material for patient education and no therapy should be started without consultation with your persnal physician.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.