Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

After the third shot I have bleeding after sex now...

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
I had the depo shot twice and had no bleeding anytime. After getting the third shot I have bleeding after sex now. Is that normal?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2011
Birth Control Answer A29762
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Few women can experience bleeding after prolonged use of hormonal contraceptive. Bleeding during or after intercourse is not normal and could suggest chances of severe infections/PID, internal injury/trauma, cervical erosion or dysplastic changes, uterine fibroids, endometrial polyps, endometritis, ovarian cysts, hormonal derangements affecting the bleeding pattern, bleeding or clotting disorders, anemia etc. It is difficult to comment on the cause for the abnormal bleeding that you describe without examining you. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the bleeding that you describe. Treatment as needed (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you in controlling the bleeding and regulating your periods. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet. If infective cause is detected, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.