Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

after surgery the pain is worse than a gallbladder attack?

User Profile
Hello,
I had my Gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago and for the first 2 weeks was not too bad but then suddenly I started experiencing similar gallbladder attacks after eating. Now I have the pain most of the time but seems to get worse after meals, the pain starts from the right hand side of my naval into my right hand side above hip and will travel under the ribs and into back/shoulder blade. It causes to me to hold my breath when the pain starts and sometimes when I breathe it will hurt more also. I have seen my Surgeon and he is booking an x-ray and ultrasound but doesnt seem to think its due to my operation.
I'm getting a little worried and anxious to know what the problem is, as now the pain is worse than a gallbladder attack.
I do have problems with my bowels since gallstones removed and before surgery and was thinking it maybe IBS?
Just wanting a little advice, many thanks. Samantha.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2012
Gallbladder Disease Answer A33157
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on eHealthForum

From the history provided it seems that you might be having post cholecystectomy syndrome (PCS).

Postcholecystectomy syndrome is the recurrence of symptoms similar to those before the procedure—occurs in 10% to 40% of patients.

The first problem is continuously increased bile flow into the upper GI tract, which may contribute to esophagitis and gastritis. The second consequence is related to the lower GI tract irritation which can cause diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain.

Treatment of the condition might need treatment with antacids (like mylanta, tums), proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole) and antispasmodics (Dicyclomine). Lifestyle changes specifically adopting a low fat diet and weight loss might also be very helpful.

Hence you may consult with a gastroenterologist who can examine you and provide proper prescription medications, which may be of help.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.